Sunday, June 8, 2008

Worst day ever

I like Sundays. Although we generally have to get out of the house earlier, I enjoy getting ready and getting to church where my kids are chomping at the bit to see their friends and so am I!
This Sunday was like most, Dh left earlier to play in the church band and we got set to go to the early service because I was teachign 2yr old Sunday school at the late service.
All was typical, church was good, the 9 two year olds were sweet.
We were in a new room and a couple kids had to get in the swing of things again, but it only took a few minutes.
We sang songs, read stories, played and had a snack. Then the time came to pick up the kids and when Tyler's mom came- there was no Tyler. NO TYLER.
I have never felt a panic like that, it was like a movie I swear I scanned the room in slow-motion and each place my eyes went I was shocked again to not find him.
This was my first meeting with Tyler- but I knew he had jeans on and a purple paicifer with circles on it and deep blond hair.
For the next 15-20 minutes maybe it was only 10- the church searched. When I realized I was outside looking others where outside looking too- I think my heart stopped completely.
As we entered the ajoining building- a guy casually mentioned that if we were looking for a toddler- his wife had him and was bringing him downstairs!
At first I thought he was joking but as I ran back down and heard it was true- I lost it.
What could have happened and all at my accountability.
If I felt like that- what did Tyler's mom feel like? I cannot imagine or be more sorry.
I cannot imagine what would happen to me if I went to pick-up my kid after a church worship service in the church's own sunday school room, manned by church moms and no kid- and no explaination.
We think Tyler snuck out the gate with another family and followed them to the other building. He was found playing in the kindergarten room.
Goes to show- even in God's house... we must always be on guard, we must never assume it cannot happen to us.
I will be different because of this, so will Tyler's mom. I am so sorry for that. I am not sorry he turned up safe and sound and maybe now we can tweak things so that no little ones can sneak anywhere and be gone so long without someone wondering where he belongs.

No comments: