Monday, June 9, 2008

Grandma, thank you


Tonight after reading Life and Death from one of my new blog reads Rocks in My Dryer, I realized a few things.
I realized that I think of my grandma often and I miss her, but I rarely mourn her. Don't get me wrong, I have moments of pure tearshed, but they come much less frequently then one would think.
When Grandma was with us, the last few years, I felt empty. I cried for the loss of her then and I prepared for her physical departure. Her dementia took her long before God did. And when he did I rejoiced for her.
Which brings me to the next realization. She taught things from the grave that I doubt I could have learned before.
At her funeral, our good friend sang her two favorite songs. One of which was " How Great Thou Art." During that song, my sadness stopped, completely left me and I felt my shoulders lifted and I just knew Grandma was in a good place. She was home.

How did I not see her faith until then?

That day I got her wedding rings and I wear them often, especially to church. At that funeral, I got it. I got God. Or at least I got that he is real and he does save.
What a gift.
So when you know that, it sure makes it hard to miss someone when you know they are where they should be.

Grandma is restored, and for that I surely rejoice!


1 comment:

Zodiac said...

I felt similar when Grandpa left us.


It's been like 14 years.

I'm still not okay.